Friday, July 26, 2013

get to know me....part one... the GP years

Ok... This is my introduction... anything you ever wanted to know about me or not... :) part one

My name is Andrea Stansbury.  I was born 2 days after Roe v. Wade was decided... and I was adopted... three guesses where my stance on that is and the first two don't count... (I have "found" my bio mother... but that is a question I would prefer not to know the answer to)  I was raised in a friendly small south Texas town by two great parents, in a wonderful neighborhood... where my neighbors were practically grandparents to the entire neighborhood (they just celebrated their 75th wedding anniversary).  I have an older brother and a younger sister and brother.  My school years (elementary thru 9th grade) were in this small town, and had their ups and downs... I was very smart, but unmotivated at times to do my work... teachers either adored me or didn't... 3rd grade was hell because the teacher didn't and in addition to the speech I had been taking since kindergarten I was taking a hand eye coordination class... (which I hated because it was in the room with the slow readers... and I have never been a slow reader...)  so I was bullied by that teacher the entire year because I had to go to my "fun"class as she called it.  I was teased a lot, mimicked and made fun of for my lisp.   I fought back by hitting kids (ok mostly boys) over the head with books, bit one guy's finger after telling him to stop pointing at me or I was going to bite it.... I gave him fair warning.   Then there was the time in 7th grade when I accidentally "racked" a guy that mimicked me... yes it was an accident I was aiming for his shine but he was short...I got in trouble at home... for not getting school work done, for hiding the school work in my closet, probably for not doing things I was told to do and possibly for being argumentative (I don't remember the whys much just getting in trouble).  I got in trouble at school... got licks for no doing what i was told by a sub in PE... we had to run fence to fence and if we walked it we had to do it again running... well I DON'T RUN... I get winded too easily and I hate running with a passion... the sub even offered to run it with me but I had to run it... I refused ... so the next day I got licks...I think I got licks for the hair pulling incident, I know I got licks for the "racking" incident... but he got hard licks and detention and the kid who's hair I pulled got in more trouble than I did as well..  there was one time in 6th grade that we were getting ready to leave for the day, I had my books on top pf my desk, put the chair on top and the whole thing toppled over... well I said a bad word..and got licks for that.  I think I got licks in Kinder because I did not want to go and play on the playground...  there were lots of things I got in trouble for, I got teased a lot as a kid (never really sure why other than the lisp... maybe I was odd and didn't fit in with everyone else.  I did the camp fire girls for several years in elementary... thought I had some good friends.  I still consider most of them my friends after all these years.  I went to a great church (at least it was great when I was a kid...) I was a very naive person a lot of the time and didn't get the cliques in middle school, or understand boys at all...  I had two best friends growing up one was my age and lived across the street from me... we were inseparable up until about 3rd grade... the other was my neighbor... I would go over and talk to him on the way home from school... he always knew how to make me feel better about things that were going on in school...
In 6th grade I got my first crush... on a guy 6 years older than me who was my camp councilor... oh my... I was obsessed:)  7th grade was ok... still not quite sure where I fit in (never really have been sure truth be told) 8th grade I went to the dances... I was kind of asked to go to the Christmas dance ( was to met the guy there)... not really sure what happened some of the kids were making comments that I didn't quite understand... the next day the phone rang and it was a guy for me the person said they were the guy that I was at the dance with and they called me a lying bitch whore... still not sure what happened there or why.   so I continued my solitary existence in school... had a few friends but no one really close that was my age... I read lots in jr high and 9th grade... spent lots of free time at the library.  the summer between jr high and high school I read Gone with the Wind in a week... didn't much care for it because it was too descriptive... but books were my get away,,, where I could just lose myself.  9th grade came and I hung out with the kids from the youth group... I loved my classes... I was looking forward to taking driver's ed the next summer, ... but then the unthinkable happened... dad was told he was being transferred to east Texas.  We were not allowed to tell people about it at first I wrote a long letter to the guy that I still had the crush on from 6th grade (see I told you I was obsessed) apparently I dropped it and my best friend that lived across the street found it... so I got in trouble for that... it was hard on me  because I had joined the choir at church and we were going to  do a musical... I think we were suppose to go to Florida and preform it for a church there... I was even going to try out for a part... I had the lines mostly memorized (that was one of the things I worked on in speech) then the news came and I stopped being as excited about it... the music director was actually the first person I told because he saw me lose interest and was wondering why I wasn't going to try out...anyway after we were allowed to tell people I had one of my favorite teachers say something to me that still haunts me... (and colors my dealings with the boys ARD meetings a lot)  He told me to take it easy when we got to the new school and that he was sure they would have a resource class... I have never been so insulted in my life because the only reason I had him that year was because I had had him in honors us history in 8tth grade the year before... world history was a sophomore class... We finished the year out, my older brother graduated, and moved to Austin for college, and we moved to east Texas...

No comments:

Post a Comment